SSSC Information

All staff, except childminders, working in registered Day Care of Children’s Services are required to register with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) within six months of beginning employment in the ELC sector. Staff are responsible for applying for and maintaining their own registration status as well as renewing their annual registration fees. Highland Council Employees should select their area Early Years Officer to endorse their application. All staff, including commissioned childminders, are required by the National Standard and SSSC to complete 60 hours of CPL over a five year period. All CPL should be recorded.

Staff will need to apply to be added to the most appropriate part of the SSSC register relevant to their role. Information can be found below and on the SSSC website. If staff change their job or role then they may need to apply to be on a different part of the register. They should check their existing registration and create a new or additional application online at MySSSC.

Managers/Lead Practitioners in Day Care of Children Services

Workers who hold responsibilities for the overall development, management and quality assurance of service provision including the supervision of staff and the management of resources. Please note you do not need to register with SSSC if you are already registered with one of the SSSC recognised regulatory bodies. These include The General Teaching Council for Scotland.

Practitioners in Day Care of Children Services

All Highland Council Early Years Practitioners (EYPs) and Out of School Care staff are required to join the register as a ‘Practitioner. Practitioners are workers who identify and meet the care, support and learning needs of children and contribute to the development and quality assurance of informal learning activities and/or curriculum. They may also be responsible for the supervision of other workers.

Any Highland Council Pupil Support Assistant (PSA) working in an ELC setting, on a regular basis, also needs to register with the SSSC as a ‘Practitioner’.

Support Workers in Day Care of Children Services

All Highland Council Early Years Support Workers (EYSW) are required to join the register as a ‘Support Worker’. Support Workers are workers who have delegated responsibility for providing care and support to children.

Any other member of Highland Council staff working on a regular basis with a child on an individual basis to support their care and welfare should also register as ‘Support Worker’.